Sunday, April 6, 2014

That first nerve-chilling moment...

One of the reasons, probably subconsciously, that I wanted to do a thorough reading of Stephen King's catalog is I remember how he really creeped me out as a kid.  Afraid to go to bed, what's-that-shadow-on-the-wall sort of creepy.

I largely suspect that it's not possible to scare a middle aged dude, unlike a 13 year old boy.

There weren't any moments in Carrie that distinctly gave me the wiggins, but I did have my first such moment in 'salem's Lot.

The first third of the book is setting up foreshadowing about old Hubert Marsten and how his brutal murder/suicide placed a shadow over the town.  And how there were rumors of...things...that he did, far worse than murder.

Well, one of the side characters happens to be wandering around in the cemetery and notices an overturned headstone.  He lifts it up and sees that it belongs to one Hubert Marsten.  It's inscription reads:

HUBERT BARCLAY MARSTEN
October 6, 1889
August 12, 1939
The angel of Death who holdeth
The bronze Lamp beyond the golden door
Hath taken thee into dark Waters
God Grant He Lie Still
 Yeah.  Creepsville.

No comments:

Post a Comment