Friday, April 11, 2014

Book #3: The Shining (1977)

Next up on my list, The Shining.

I've actually had this book for ages, but never got around to reading it.  I'm very familiar with the Kubrick adaptation, which is still spellbinding and terrifying to me, and I saw the *yawn* 1997 TV miniseries staring that one guy and that girl and...zzz...

Oh.  Sorry.  Nodded off there.

So, while I've never read the book, I know what the adaptations are about.  But one of my stated purposes during this little journey is to read these novels with a fresh perspective.  So I'll do my best to forget what I think I know.

One thing that I thought, while reading Carrie and 'salem's Lot, might be helpful for me is some historical context.  I've noticed, just from the first two books, that King's writing seems to be very much a reflection of the times.  And while at least  these two books have aged very well, I choose to read them as if they were period pieces, especially since King uses times and dates in his narrative.

So, feel free to ignore this info, as this is mainly for my benefit.  I'm including some reference points for me as well as things that King himself might have been interested in, judging from what I've read so far.  Most of my information will be from the previous year, since that's presumably when King was writing.

Publication Date: January 28, 1977
A few months earlier, Stevie Wonder released his album Songs in the Key of Life
Jimmy Carter had just been sworn in as 39th President of the United States
First day of the Great Lakes Blizzard of 1977
The original Star Wars film would be released in a couple months.
Super Bowl Winner in 1976 season:  Oakland Raiders 32, Minnesota Vikings 14
World Series Winner in 1976: Cincinnati Reds over New York Yankees 4-0
Boston Red Sox record in 1976: 83-79, finishing 3rd in AL East
Red Sox Roster 1976
New England Patriots record in 1976: 11-3, second in AFC East, Lost in first round of Playoffs to Oakland Raiders
Patriots Roster 1976
Cost of a new home in 1976: $48,000.00
Median Household Income in 1976:  $12,686
Cost of a first-class stamp in 1976: $0.13
Cost of a gallon of regular gas in 1976: $0.59
Cost of a dozen eggs in 1976: $0.84
Cost of a gallon of Milk in 1976: $1.65  Source
Cost of a car in 1976: $5,418
Cost of bread in 1976: $0.30

$1 in 1976 dollars = $3.84 now Source


No comments:

Post a Comment