Monday, April 7, 2014

Carrie...some historical perspective


Since most of these books that I will be reading are either older than I am or old enough that I wasn't aware of the outside world (I was born in the late '70s), I thought it might be fun to try to gain some historical perspective.

So, how was Carrie viewed in its time?  Well, at least the New York Times seemed to like it.

"King does more than tell a story. He is a schoolteacher himself, and he gets into Carrie’s mind as well as into the minds of her classmates. He also knows a thing or two about symbolism—blood symbolism especially. That this is a first novel is amazing. King writes with the kind of surety normally associated only with veteran writers. This mixture of science-fiction, the occult, secondary-school sociology, kids good and bad and genetics turns out to be an extraordinary mixture."
The review is enthusiastically positive, if a little tempered by the disclaimer that it's a "first novel."  I was always under the impression that King has never been reviewed well, so I'm curious how the critics reacted at the time.  If I can dig up some more reviews as I go, I'll be sure to share.

-B.

No comments:

Post a Comment