Monday, April 7, 2014

How Carrie changed Stephen King's Life...

This probably isn't something I'll do very often, since I don't intend, at least at this time, to turn this blog into a Stephen King newswatch site, but I saw an interesting article at the Guardian, discussing Carrie, forty years later.
The novel retains its power to shock and disturb, as Carrie discovers her telekinesis, and goes on to attend what must surely be most memorable prom in literature. Written in a mix of voices, from third person narration to newspaper reports and academic papers, "to this day, the structure and voice still feel radical, and the characterisation of Carrie by a male writer remains startling," says horror author Adam Nevill. "The book's power endures. Carrie has the energy and vision of an idiosyncratic early work that burned its way out of a young writer who wasn't following conventions, or even second-guessing reader expectations; maybe it just had to be written in that way at that time.
That highlights very much what I felt about the book.  The unusual narrative style, when it worked, was great.

This article had an interesting perspective and since my decision to read all of Stephen King's novels happened to coincide with the 40th anniversary of the publication of Carrie, I thought I would share.

Read it all, if you get a chance.

-B.

No comments:

Post a Comment