Thursday, April 14, 2016

A question on the Meta side of things...

Finished the Shining.  Review in the next day or so.

I have a couple of questions that I've been mulling over the last couple days.

While I have not yet read any of the Dark Tower books (and hardly know anything about them), I do know (or think I know) that "everything is connected".  I recently asked a friend at what point the interconnected nature of everything starts happening.  He answered that it was pretty much "from the very beginning.  You won't realize until later, but everything he's written is game."  I'm paraphrasing, but that was the jist.

With that said, I have a few questions.

Three books in, I've met scary telekenetics, scary vampires, and not-as-scary precog/mind readers (Shiners). Dick Hallorann would occasionally meet others with the Shine.  So at least in The Shining, people are aware of other special people.

So...
1) Are Carrie White's powers considered "The Shine", just a different flavor, than Danny?  Or is she an entirely different animal?
2) Are other people aware of people with these powers?  Shining appears to be somewhat common.  Carrie was suggested to be unique (although at the very end of the book it's suggested a small girl named Annie --in the year 1988--had the same powers as Carrie).
3) The Overlook seems to be a very scary, but supernaturally significant place.  Is it a "one-off" or are there other significant places and does it "mean anything more?"

I'm sure I'll think of more as I progress.  And I'll be sure to post my thoughts.  Will be fun to re-read these thoughts later and see how many of these things are answered.

Obviously, these questions are more rhetorical than anything else, so I don't require any answers.  Unless you *really* want to, go ahead and leave a comment.  I would prefer no overt spoilers though, if it can be avoided.

-B

No comments:

Post a Comment