Saturday, May 14, 2016

Night Shift (1978) - Review

There's a reason why Night Shift has led to so many film and television adaptations.  It's good.  Damn good.

I've read that King himself sees a very cocky, self-confident, top of the world writer when he reads The Shining.  And that's definitely true, but it's incredibly evident in some of the short stories presented in Night Shift.

After my bad experience with Rage, which was an early novel that he decided to publish quietly as Richard Bachman, I was afraid that I might have a similar experience with Night shift, knowing that a good deal of these stories had been written in the decade prior to publication in Night Shift.

Boy was I wrong.

King shows off how versatile of a writer he is as well, following an epistolary story in the vein of Lovecraft in Jerusalem's Lot, with Graveyard Shift, which feels like it's yanked out of some 1950's era pre-Comics Code Authority EC comic, The mental image of gigantic mutant rats that had begin to take on some traits of both ant colonies and bats, is an image that I'll carry with me for a while.

Night Surf, the third story in Night Shift, was essentially a companion story to The Stand.  However, since Night Shift was published before The Stand (and Night Surf was originally published all the way back in 1969), readers at the time would have no way of knowing of the cross over.

I'm not sure if Night Surf is considered "canon" now or if it's just supposed to be viewed as a work in progress of the ideas that eventually led to The Stand.  The Captain Trips virus seems to be a little bit different than what was described in The Stand.  But I really appreciated, as the story unfolded, how the main characters attachment to any kind of morality or higher authorities seemed to vanish as societal structure collapsed.

I am the Doorway didn't feel like a Stephen King story at all.  It reminded me most of an episode of the 1950's old radio drama X Minus One or an episode of The Twilight Zone.  It's the first stab at straight up science fiction that I've seen King try and I really liked it, even if the end was a bit predictable.

Another thing I really appreciated in this collection was King's willingness to be flat out silly.  Battleground and Trucks demonstrated this fully.  I already commented on my adoration of Battleground.  While I don't feel as strongly about Trucks, its hard not to admire a serious horror story based on the idea that one day all the trucks in the world became sentient and just decided to enslave and/or kill humanity.

Sometimes They Come Back and The Man Who Loved Flowers both felt like they could have been written by a slightly darker O. Henry.

Quitters, Inc. was a particularly strong as well.  If you've ever seen The Game, you have an idea of the nature of this story.  Very cool idea.  The two concepts are so similar, I wonder if the Game stole some of the ideas from King.

 Children of the Corn was creepy but not really one of my favorites.  It was good, not great.

The only story in Night Shift I actively disliked was The Lawnmower Man, which was just so bizarre that I just rolled my eyes, said "Whatever, dude," and moved on.

I wonder if all of King's short story collections are this good, because he definitely brought his A-game to this one.

Next up: The Stand.

No comments:

Post a Comment