Monday, May 9, 2016

Indian in the Cupboard meets Full Metal Jacket

Making my way through Night shift. I had to stop reading to write this.

  Battleground may just be one of my favorite things I've ever read.  It's so batty, and so insane...and just so much fun that it left me giddy in a way I haven't felt reading a story since I was a kid.

The plot is simple enough.  Renshaw is a world renowned assassin who has just taken out a toy-maker.  Upon returning home, he receives a package containing a GI Joe vietnam footlocker, sent to him by the toy-maker's mother.

The tiny toy figures inside, including all of their weapons and vehicles, come to life and begin a full frontal assault to take Renshaw down.

I couldn't stop reading...and occasionally laughing or smirking...as Renshaw desperately tried to come at the platoon, only to be thwarted at every opportunity.  Their methods were particularly enjoyable.

At one point, they even give him a chance to surrender, to which he responded "NUTS!"

Just as it appeared Renshaw was about to gain the upper hand, with a hastily constructed Molotov cocktail, the entire apartment disintegrates.  It seems our GI Joe dudes brought a thermonuclear bomb with them.

At times, this tale seemed full of wonder, like the Indian in the Cupboard.  At time it was a brutal look at modern warfare, hence the title of this post.

This story is also completely unlike the others in Night Shift, so it was a very unexpected, but awesome shift.

No comments:

Post a Comment